You are here now :
/ Maintenance Tips
- Check all weather stripping and caulking around windows and door, especially if you have air conditioning.
- Check outside of house for cracked or peeling paint. Caulk and repaint as necessary.
- Remove, clean, and store storm windows (if removable)
- Check all Indoor and Window Screens. Patch or replace as needed. Put screens up (if removable type)
- Replace filters on air-conditioners.
- Check and clean dryer vent, stove hood, and room fans. Change or clean filters on furnace.
- Check door seals on refrigerator and freezer. Vacuum refrigerator coils.
- Clean fireplace. Leave damper open in summer for improved ventilation if home is not air-conditioned.
- Check basement walls and floor for dampness. If moist, remedy as appropriate.
- Clean dehumidifier according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check for leaky faucets. Replace washers as necessary.
- Check attic for proper ventilation. Open vents.
- Clean drapes and blinds. Repair as needed.
- Check all weather stripping and caulking around windows and doors. Replace or repair as needed.
- Check for cracks and holes in house siding. Fill with caulking as necessary.
- Remove window air-conditioners, or put weatherproof covers on them.
- Take down screens (if removable type). Clean and store.
- Check storm windows and doors. Clean and repair as needed. Put back up (if removable type).
- Drain outside faucets (cold climate areas).
- Clean gutters and drain pipes so that leaves won’t clog them.
- Check roof for leaks. Repair as necessary.
- Check flashing around vents, skylights, and chimneys for leaks.
- Check chimney for damaged chimney caps and loose or missing mortar. Is it time for a professional chimney cleaning?
- Check chimney flue. Clear obstructions. Make sure damper closes tightly.
- Lubricate door hinges and locksets with a light oil.
- Check insulation wherever possible. Replace or add as necessary.
- Have heating system and heat pump serviced. Change filters.
- Check and clean humidifier in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Drain hot water heater. Remove sediment from bottom of tank.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils.
- Clean fireplace.